Negotiations. Job searches. Teaching and learning. Sales.
Have you ever wondered if there is something you could do to improve the outcomes of situations like these?
Well, there is!
The thing you should be doing? Show some ENTHUSIASM!
You may remember Tatiana from her previous appearance on Talk About Talk episode #50. Since then, I’ve learned a lot more about the positive impact of enthusiasm, and decided it was time to devote an entire episode to it.
I’m very excited to share this week’s Talk About Talk podcast episode with you! In this episode, you’ll learn:
- WHAT enthusiasm is
- The IMPACT of enthusiasm
- How to COMMUNICATE enthusiasm
WHAT IS ENTHUSIASM?
The dictionary definition of enthusiasm is an intense expression of interest, enjoyment, or approval.
Let’s unpack that.
1️⃣ It’s INTENSE – In other words, high energy, strong, concentrated, and heightened.
2️⃣ It’s an EXPRESSION – Enthusiasm isn’t something you feel, it’s something that you demonstrate to others.
Image by shironosov from Getty Images/Canva
Research has shown that enthusiasm can have a positive impact in a variety of contexts, and if you focus on communicating YOUR enthusiasm, you might be more successful.
There are three main reasons for this:
1️⃣ Cues and Signals
- People look for cues from others about whether something is worth their time and attention.
- If others are enthusiastic about something, people get the message that they should also be enthusiastic about it.
2️⃣ Mirroring and Contagion
- Whether we’re aware of it or not, we mirror each other. (This is what researchers call “emotional synchrony.”)
- If you’re a leader, people will be looking to you for cues and will mirror your enthusiasm.
- You’ve probably heard that smiling and yawning are contagious. Well, guess what? So is enthusiasm!
- In addition to seeking cues from others, we also listen to cues from our own bodies.
- We can reinforce positivity and enthusiasm within ourselves through our non-verbal communication with others.
That’s it for this week! An enthusiastic THANK YOU to Tatiana Astray for first introducing me to this topic!
Have a great week.
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
#107 – Communication Skills for JOB-SEEKERS
#106 – Q&A on Personal Branding with FishBowl Leader Maye Samoiel
Relevant Episodes from the Archives:
Check out ONLINE CORPORATE WORKSHOPS with Andrea!