This week we’re celebrating 100 EPISODES of the Talk About Talk podcast!
How do you like to celebrate the major milestones in your life? Flowers 💐? Cake 🎂? Champagne 🥂?
Image by inkdrop from Canva
Or how about… sharing some of the key insights you’ve gained through the process of reaching that milestone?
If you’re a regular Talk About Talk listener, you’ll know that I’m a big believer in the Power of 3, so in this week’s Talk About Talk’s episode I’m sharing the TOP 3 COMMUNICATION INSIGHTS that have stood out to me the most after 100 episodes’ worth of research, interviews, and learnings:
- Keep it SHORT
- It’s NOT ABOUT YOU
- Adopt a GROWTH MINDSET
But first, a few THANK YOUs
A lot of people helped me get to 100 episodes, including all of YOU who have downloaded and listened to the podcast, not to mention those of you who have emailed me with feedback and support. THANK YOU!
There are three people I ESPECIALLY want to thank, starting with…
My brother, Brian Campbell!
Brian is a talented sound production engineer, and has done almost all of the sound production for Talk About Talk. Whenever you hear a fun sound effect or awesome music, that’s Brian!
He’s also extremely supportive, and I can always count on him to give me a shot in the arm as only a sibling can. Thank you, Brian!
My friend and fellow podcaster, André Carneiro.
André Carneiro of “The Agency”
(check out his LinkedIn headline: “…and why not – podcaster”!)
I met André about two years ago in a monthly Zoom meeting for podcasters from around the world. When André asked if anyone could help him rebrand his podcast, of course I volunteered.
Since then, Andre and I have met almost every week, helped each other with our businesses, and learned a lot from each other. Thank you, André!
You may remember Sharon from her guest appearances on Talk About Talk Episode #45 and Episode #67. (And she’ll be back soon for another episode!)
Sharon has played a big role in helping me build my business, and I’m incredibly grateful for her support.
Andrea’s Top 3 COMMUNICATION INSIGHTS
Ok, let’s get to it! What are the three insights that stuck with me the most across 100 episodes?
- People have short attention spans. So keep it short, and keep it focused.
- We are cognitively overloaded! We are overwhelmed with information and decisions.
- Brevity shows respect for your audience. Time is a valuable resource.
- Focus on your audience. Be other-directed. Be generous. Be empathetic. Be a good listener.
- Research shows that when you talk less and the other person talks more, they will like you more.
- When you’re networking, it’s not about getting something. It’s not even about reciprocity. It’s about being generous.
- If you have a growth mindset, you’re curious. You improve. You’re more comfortable with risks. You’re ok with being wrong. You invest in self-improvement. You LEARN.
- Adopting a growth mindset will keep you relevant, it will boost your confidence (yet prevent you from being arrogant), and it will make you a more effective leader.
- One of the easiest ways to adopt a growth mindset? Use the word LEARN as much as you can.
That’s it for this week! I am so incredibly grateful to everyone who has supported and encouraged me on my podcasting journey, and to everyone who’s listened to the first 100 episodes.
Please forward this to your friends who might like help with their communication skills. Thank you.
Have a great week.
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
Subscribe to the Communication Skills NEWSLETTER
Learn about 1-on-1 COACHING with Andrea,
or schedule a free 20-minute consult.
Check out ONLINE CORPORATE WORKSHOPS with Andrea!