Learning to Lead
Focused on learning to lead? Are you seeking a LEADERSHIP position? Perhaps you’re looking for that promotion or perhaps you’re struggling with your “leadership style.” Or maybe your boss just said those magic words:
“It’s time to start demonstrating leadership.”
Whatever the case, leadership skills are in high demand and I believe everyone can master them.
This week’s Talk About Talk podcast episode focuses on “DEMONSTRATING LEADERSHIP”. In this episode we focus on how to communicate your leadership potential. In other words, learning to lead and how to incorporate leadership into your personal brand.
In this episode, you’ll learn 5 ways you can demonstrate leadership:
- Be a PROACTIVE, Strategic Leader
- Demonstrate PEOPLE LEADERSHIP
- Create THOUGHT-LEADERSHIP
- Communicate with CONFIDENCE
- Talk LEADERSHIP
My challenge for you: consider these 5 suggestions, and then choose 1-2 and go hard.
Let’s look at #2: PEOPLE LEADERSHIP
Remember the best leader you ever encountered; how that leader made you feel? Were you energized? Inspired? Motivated? Encouraged? Supported? Challenged? You bet you were.
Leaders create environments where their people can flourish. They facilitate their people’s independence. They trust and delegate and they support their people. They also publicly celebrate individual and team achievements; acknowledging effort and outcome.
People leadership includes:
- recognizing and deploying talent
- delegating and allocating
- coaching and mentoring, both formally and informally
Even if you don’t lead a formal team, you can still coach and mentor. You can still find ways to inspire, be a role model, set a good example. You could volunteer to lead a major project, a minor initiative, or even simply lead a meeting.
Beyond “People Leadership,” the other ways to DEMONSTRATE LEADERSHIP involve more individual leadership and drive. You need to develop these skills in yourself in order to succeed. I’ll explain more next week, but you can always dive into the episode now.
If you’re looking for more guidance on LEADERSHIP, please check out these previous episodes, focused on communication skills for leaders and on confidence (one of the 5 ways to demonstrate leadership):
- #52 – Communication Skills of Effective Leaders – with executive coach Heather Stark
- #58 – The 4P’s of Mentally Preparing to Communicate with Confidence
- #59 – The A.B.C.D.E.’s of Confidence in the Moment
- #75 – Leadership: Communicate Like a Boss! – with Jill Nykoliation, CEO Juniper ParkTBWA
- #83 – Let’s Talk Imposter Syndrome
That’s it for this week! I hope you enjoy the podcast.
As always, if you have any feedback or 💡ideas, please let me know. I ❤️ love hearing from you!
Have a great week.
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Chief Talker & Communication Coach