How to Tell Impactful Stories
Speaking of impactful stories – Have you watched the #1 most-watched TEDTalk?
Over 20 million people have viewed this “Do Schools Kill Creativity?” TEDTalk by Sir Ken Robinson:
Many experts have dissected this 18-minute TEDTalk to better understand what makes it so compelling. There’s Sir Robinson’s use of humour, his lack of slides, and of course, the many STORIES he tells.
It’s the STORYTELLING that elevates this TEDTalk. And it’s STORYTELLING that can elevate all our communication.
- why stories are so impactful;
- the essential elements of great stories;
- plus a few of Andrea’s stories!
3 Ways Stories are IMPACTFUL
1️⃣ Stories evoke EMOTIONS
- Stories engage us with feelings of angst, pleasure, surprise, inspiration,…
2️⃣ Stories are MEMORABLE
- We forget the facts & figures, but we’ll remember how you made us feel!
3️⃣ Stories CONNECT us
- Stories connect us through shared experience
5 Essential ELEMENTS of Great Stories
Here’s your checklist: the 5 elements to include in your stories:
- Include conflict in the story, something to overcome. We need suspense!
✅ A character the audience CARES about
- Whether the story is about you or someone else, the audience needs to care!
✅ A TWIST
- Predictable stories are boring. Include something unexpected.
✅ Important DETAILS
- Include enough details to make it real. But not too much… Let the audience to fill in the gaps!
- A random story will confuse the audience. Integrate your story into your message
The STORYTELLING Episode
I hope you enjoy this week’s podcast episode!
🌐 Click HERE to listen directly on the Talk About Talk website
🎧 Click HERE to listen on your favourite podcast player
📄 Click HERE to read the printable shownotes
Please forward this email to anyone who might appreciate insights on STORYTELLING and COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
📩 Let’s talk
Email Andrea your ideas & feedback
© 2021 Talk About Talk – All rights reserved