Personal branding is more than just the words we say about ourselves. Learn to reinforce your personal brand through consistent implicit communication, ranging from your personal style, possessions, affiliations, how you show up for meetings, and more.
Find your printable “Personal Branding Checklist” HERE (ep.77)
- Your Personal Branding Checklist
Reinforcing your Personal Brand
with Implicit Communication
APPEARANCE, POSSESSIONS & HOW YOU “SHOW UP”
- What you wear everyday: your haircut, your clothing, your makeup
- Unique style elements, such as a favorite color or a unique accessory (funky eye-glasses, a fancy watch, a health tracker, a favourite purse/briefcase, unique shoes, a favourite designer,…)
- The brands you buy and display
- Your car
- How you “Show Up”
- Your office, whether virtual or IRL
- What you bring to meetings:
- Your briefcase, purse, meeting notebook, laptop
- Your phone and phone case
- What beverage do you bring to meetings?
PHOTOS & HEADSHOT
Headshot photos of you on your website and on social media:
- Solid background
- You and only you
- Dressed how you would dress for a meeting with a client
Keep photos updated
- Don’t surprise people with how old you are when you meet for the first time
AFFILIATIONS & CREDENTIALS
- Professional colleagues, personal friends and family
- Your employer, your school, where you volunteer, clubs
Where you live
Hobbies and activities
Your email signature
- What’s the message? (image, title, awards, quotes, fonts,…)
Fonts you use
- Modern? Flowery? Plain? Funky?
Online meeting background
- Tidy? Stylish? Reflects your interests?
- formality, jargon,…
Body language and posture
- Facial expressions
- Do you look confident? Engaged? Happy?
- This video beautifully illustrates the significance of consistency in our implicit communication
Your voice mail greeting
WHERE TO START?
Consider two factors:
- IMPACT – Where do you have the most “touchpoints” with people who matter the most?
- EFFORT – How easy it is to improve?
- Update your headshot(s)
- Your online meeting background (or wherever you have frequent touch-points with people)
- Check your voicemail!
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Email – Andrea@TalkAboutTalk.com
Book Andrea for a free 20min “communication skills training” consult
Andrea on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/andreawojnicki/
Talk About Talk
Related podcast episodes:
- What Our POSSESSIONS Say About Us:
- PERSONAL BRANDING & AUTHENTICITY
- ONLINE PERSONAL BRANDING
Website – https://talkabouttalk.com
Free Weekly Email Newsletter – https://talkabouttalk.com/blog/#newsletter-signup
***When referencing resources and products, TalkAboutTalk sometimes uses affiliate links. These links don’t impose any extra cost on you, and they help support the free content provided by Talk About Talk.