Do you ever scan your Body Language?
When you were growing up, did your parents ever lecture you about your posture?
“Stand up straight!”
“Keep your hands out of your pockets!”
It may have felt like nagging at the time, but it turns out our parents were actually doing us a favour.
That’s because BODY LANGUAGE has a significant effect on how we communicate and how we are perceived by others.
Just think about all the non-verbal ways we communicate: through facial expressions, hand gestures, touch, proximity, tone of voice, appearance, and more.
In this week’s Talk About Talk episode, I highlight why body language is so important, and how you can optimize how you are perceived and how you feel by using the 3-POINT BODY LANGUAGE SCAN:
2. Hands ✋
3. Eyes 👀
The next time you’re in a meeting and your mind starts wandering, or you catch yourself slouching, say to yourself, “3-point body language scan!”
- Stand or sit up straight
- Don’t cross your arms or legs
- If you’re sitting, remember the 90-90-90 rule (Head up and back straight, 90’ to your thighs. Then 90’ to your lower legs. Then 90’ to your feet.)
- Keep your hands in view. We trust people more when we can see their hands.
- Use slow, purposeful movements. No flailing!
- If you don’t use your hands enough: keep them on top of the table, loosely clasped.
- If you use your hands too much: keep them on your lap during online meetings.
- Practice keeping your hand gestures inside the frame for online meetings.
- Eye contact is key. We maintain eye contact longer with people whom we know and whom we like.
- Eye contact can be challenging in online meetings. RELAX. Try to focus on looking at the camera, particularly when you’re speaking, and particularly when you’re trying to emphasize a key point.
- Smile with your whole face, including your eyes.
- Watch those eyebrows!
Please forward this to your friends who might like help with their communication skills. Thank you.
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
Subscribe to the Communication Skills NEWSLETTER
Learn about 1-on-1 COACHING with Andrea,
or schedule a free 20-minute consult.
Check out ONLINE CORPORATE WORKSHOPS with Andrea!