Tips for Introducing Yourself
Last week it was the framework, now its general tips for introducing yourself.
Do you remember the framework? It’s 3 simple points:
Remember, it’s NOT a script and it’s NOT in chronological order.
Here’s my example:
- PRESENT – “Hi. I’m Andrea Wojnicki. I’m a communication coach at Talk About Talk. My expertise, my passion, is communication.”
- PAST – “Before I founded Talk About Talk, I was a marketing professor. I earned my doctorate in business from Harvard Business School, where my research focused on interpersonal communication.”
- FUTURE – “I’m really looking forward to helping you establish your personal brand. Let’s start by focusing on how you can introduce yourself!”
By the way, this framework works in most contexts… professionally or personally, online or IRL.
Once you memorize this framework, you can move on to some other tips for introducing yourself.
4 General Tips for Introducing Yourself
1️⃣ Be Enthusiastic!
- Expressions of enthusiasm lead to positive outcomes. Start with a smile and eye contact.
- In your FUTURE statement, mention your passion. In your concluding PAST statement, express your enthusiasm for what’s to come.
2️⃣ Consider the Context
- Of course, you have many things you could say about yourself! Consider your audience. Focus on what’s important for them to know and what they might care about.
- Think of this as filtering what you say. Customize your introduction depending on the context.
3️⃣ Keep it Brief
- Be precise. Don’t be “that guy” who rambles on about himself, taking up way more than his fair share of airtime!
- Shorter is better. Afraid they might want more? Let them ask Qs, or you could say, “happy to talk more about that offline.”
4️⃣ Leverage Your Personal Brand
- Your Personal Brand is “what people say about you when you’re not in the room.” Self-introductions provide a rare opportunity to reinforce what we want people to know about us!
- Ask yourself, what elements of your Personal Brand (unique passions, expertise) do you want people to remember about you?
The most recent Talk About Talk podcast episode focuses on tips for introducing yourself and more.
Click here to listen now
Click here to check out the printable shownotes
As always, if you have any feedback or ideas for future communication skills-related topics, please let me know. I ❤️love to hear from you.
Have a great week!
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
📧 Subscribe to this Communication Skills NEWSLETTER
🎧 Subscribe to the Talk About Talk PODCAST