Here’s the new podcast on PROFANITY. Yes, two versions…
- PROFANITY PODCAST (clean) – https://talkabouttalk.com/23s2-clean-profanity-talking-taboo-with-linguistics-professor-darin-flynn/
- PROFANITY PODCAST (explicit) – https://talkabouttalk.com/23s2-explicit-profanity-talking-taboo-with-linguistics-professor-darin-flynn/
- MORE great TOPICS here: https://talkabouttalk.com/podcasts/
I figured I would ease us into profanity by blogging this week about TABOO TOPICS – what they are, and how to handle them in conversation.
(You can skim this short email or dive into the many links to learn more!)
TABOO – DEFINITION
The word TABOO comes from the Tongan TAPU, the Fijian TABU, or the Polynesian TABU, and translates to “unacceptable,” “prohibited,” “disallowed,” and/or “forbidden.”
Taboos are words or behaviours that are sacred or prohibited based on morals, religion, or norms.
The definition of taboo varies across countries, across religions, across cultures, and over time. So what is taboo in one place may be completely acceptable in another. (Just to keep things interesting!!!)
TABOO TOPICS – THE LIST
- BODILY FUNCTIONS & EXCREMENT
- DEATH & DYING
- FOREIGN POLICY
- MARITAL ISSUES
- MEDICAL/HEALTH PROBLEMS
- MENTAL HEALTH
- RELIGIOUS BELIEFS
- SEX & SEXUALITY
- Anyone’s SPOUSE
- Visible bra straps
- Girls making the first move
- Living together or having a child outside of marriage
- Keeping your maiden name
- Asking a lady’s age
- Phone calls after 9pm
- Girls wearing pants
- Being anything other than heterosexual
So what do you do when a taboo topic comes up? Here are five suggestions:
- Ask, “is everyone is ok talking about this?”
- Smile and nod…
- Try to keep it objective
- Challenge yourself to fully understand others’ perspectives
- Change the subject!
Or – you could just do what my 12-year-old does and exclaim,
I hope you enjoyed this primer for next week’s podcast focused on ….PROFANITY! (see the link HERE)
Have you had a chance yet to listen to the FUNNY TALK podcast with Professor Hillary Anger Elfenbein? It really is good for a laugh – I promise!
One last thing: If you aren’t signed up already, please sign up for FREE Communication Coaching every week in your email inbox by clicking here. If have any friends or colleagues who might also enjoy Talk About Talk, please send them this link and encourage them to sign-up for the weekly email blog. ❤️ I THANK YOU very much!
Have a great week.
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Founder & Chief Talker – Talk About Talk Inc.
© 2019 Talk About Talk – All rights reserved
(TM) Talk About Talk is a registered trademark.