Have you ever been in a meeting and it suddenly occurred to you that you’re the only one at the table who hasn’t said anything yet? Or perhaps you’ve been told by your boss that you need to SPEAK UP.
These scenarios are very common!
SPEAKING UP in meetings is a fantastic opportunity for you….
- Manage your MINDSET
- Consider your WORDS
Manage Your MINDSET
1️⃣ Give yourself a QUOTA
- Challenge yourself to make at least ONE comment per meeting.
- Try to speak up earlier on in the meeting. Once you’ve contributed to the discussion, it won’t seem as daunting to speak up a second time.
2️⃣ Manage your PHYSICAL STATE
- This will serve your MENTAL state well!
- Slow your breathing. This will help minimize anxiety and fuel your confidence.
3️⃣ Adjust your definition of CONTRIBUTION
- Give yourself permission to contribute even if you’re not sure your idea is fully formed.
- Not every comment has to be a breakthrough solution.
- Remember, a meeting is an exchange of ideas, and what you have to say might be the inspiration for someone else’s breakthrough idea.
4️⃣ FOCUS and listen
- Focus on the meeting objective, not on yourself.
- Instead of trying to say the “right” things that you think your boss wants to hear, consider how you can help achieve the meeting objective!
Choose Your WORDS Wisely
Once you’re in the right MINDSET for speaking up, finding the right WORDS to say is easier than you think!
❓ Ask a QUESTION – Yes, this counts as speaking up! Questions spark discussion and can be some of the most valuable contributions in meetings.
💡 Build on OTHERS’ IDEAS – Say something like, “Building on what so-and-so said, I’d like to add…” Not only is this a great way to add to the discussion, but it also provides an opportunity to give credit to your colleagues and amplify their ideas.
🧠 Speak to your EXPERTISE – Start your comment with, “Based on my experience” or “Based on my expertise.” This will bolster your confidence, and has the added benefit of reinforcing your personal brand.
Yes, I agree “10” is a lot of strategies! I encourage you to identify 2-3 of these 10 strategies to help you speak up with confidence.
If you know anyone who would be interested in learning more about speaking up in meetings, please forward this emailto them. THANK YOU! And if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback, please email me anytime!
Executive Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
#113 – Are you a fast-talker? How to optimize your communication CADENCE
#112 – Communicating with IMPACT
Check out ONLINE CORPORATE WORKSHOPS with Andrea!