It’s amazing how so many clients nod their head when I start talking about a GROWTH MINDSET.
It seems that everyone has a growth mindset… Or do they?
What exactly IS a growth mindset?
Here’s how I define a growth mindset: it’s all about knowing what you know, and wanting to learn more. The keyword is LEARN. Simple, right? Simple but POWERFUL!
If I had to choose one thing that would help you improve your communication (and your life!), it would be adopting a GROWTH MINDSET.
This is a subject focus on in the latest Talk About Talk’s episode, which just so happens to be the 100th EPISODE!
In this episode you’ll learn my TOP 3 COMMUNICATION INSIGHTS as well as some key learnings about adopting a GROWTH MINDSET, including:
- The differences between a FIXED and GROWTH MINDSETS
- The BENEFITS of adopting a growth mindset
- HOW to adopt a growth mindset
Fixed Mindset vs. Growth Mindset
- You perceive yourself to have fixed skills, attributes and abilities.
- You’re less likely to invest in yourself.
- You’re defensive.
- You’re focused on self-verification.
- You’re curious and open to taking risks.
- You’re ok with being wrong.
- You invest in self-improvement.
- You LEARN.
BENEFITS of a Growth Mindset
Now that you know WHAT a growth mindset is, let’s look at WHY we should adopt one.
- When you have a growth mindset, you are perceived as a learner and as someone who is open to new ideas.
- Everything around us is changing all the time, and we need to change too.
- A growth mindset sets us up for future success by ensuring that we are ready and willing to embrace change.
- A growth mindset helps establish an equilibrium between nervousness and arrogance.
- When leaders adopt a growth mindset, they demonstrate openness and a desire to learn from their mistakes.
- Leaders with a growth mindset create a psychologically safe environment for their team.
and the WHY of growth mindsets.
Now let’s look at the HOW.
ADOPTING a Growth Mindset
The simplest thing you can do is START LEARNING!
🎧 Listen to a podcast
👩💻 Take a course
🧠 Fill your brain with new ideas
- Taking risks
- Admitting publicly you don’t know the answer
- Reframing challenges as learning opportunities
- Allowing yourself to make mistakes and committing to learn from them
- Asking for feedback
- Replacing the word FAIL with the word LEARN
I recite my growth mindset mantra:
Please forward this to your friends who might like help with their communication skills. Thank you.
Have a great week.
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
Check out ONLINE CORPORATE WORKSHOPS with Andrea!