Gift-giving is a highly symbolic form of communication. Are you a good gift giver? In this podcast you will learn how to think about gift-giving more rationally, with research-based tips about what matters and what doesn’t. Here’s a hint: We should worry less about how much money we spend. It’s typically the “low substance, high sentiment” gifts that are appreciated. It really is the thought that counts!
References & Links
- Mauss, Marcel (1924) THE GIFT https://archive.org/details/giftformsfunctio00maus/page/n9
- Belk, Russell W. (1976) “It’s The Thought That Counts: A Signed Digraph Analysis of Gift-Giving” Journal of Consumer Research
- Belk & Coon (1991) “Can’t Buy me Love: Money, Dating & Gifts” Association for Consumer Research
- Geisler, Markus (2006) “Consumer Gift Systems” Journal of Consumer Research
- Sherry, John F. (1983) “Gift-Giving in Anthropological Perspective” Journal of Consumer Research
- Sherry, McGrath & Levy (1993) “The Dark Side of the Gift” Journal of Business Research
- Ward, Morgan K., & Broniarczyk, Susan M. (2011) “It’s Not Me, It’s You: How Gift Giving Creates Giver Identity Threat as a Function of Social Closeness” Journal of Consumer Research
- Wooten, David B. (2000) “Qualitative Steps Toward an Expanded Model of Anxiety in Gift-Giving” Journal of Consumer Research
Professor Russell Belk
- Professor Belk’s York University Schulich faculty page
- Talk About Talk episode #17: What Our Possessions Say
Talk About Talk & Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
- Free Weekly Email Blog – https://talkabouttalk.com/blog/#newsletter-signup
- (sign up now to get your FREE printable PDF of the “5 Steps to Improve your Communication Skills – ABCDE”)
- Website – https://talkabouttalk.com
- Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/2512948625658629/
- Andrea’s email – Andrea@TalkAboutTalk.com
THANKS for listening – and READING!
- Web: https://talkabouttalk.com/
- FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2512948625658629/
- FB: https://www.facebook.com/TalkingAboutTalk/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/talkabouttalk/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/talk_about_talk
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/talkingabouttalk/
- Email: Andrea@TalkAboutTalk.com
TalkAboutTalk CORE BELIEF:
“When we communicate effectively, we can be a better manager, co-worker, parent, partner and friend.
TalkAboutTalk BRAND PROMISE:
“TalkAboutTalk is the communication learning platform that will help us catapult our career and enrich our relationships by providing us with communication skills and confidence.”
***When referencing resources and products, TalkAboutTalk sometimes uses affiliate links. These links don’t impose any extra cost on you, and they help support the free content provided by TalkAboutTalk.