Gift-giving is a highly symbolic form of communication. Are you a good gift giver? In this podcast you will learn how to think about gift-giving more rationally, with research-based tips about what matters and what doesn’t. Here’s a hint: We should worry less about how much money we spend. It’s typically the “low substance, high sentiment” gifts that are appreciated. It really is the thought that counts!
References & Links
- Mauss, Marcel (1924) THE GIFT https://archive.org/details/giftformsfunctio00maus/page/n9
- Belk, Russell W. (1976) “It’s The Thought That Counts: A Signed Digraph Analysis of Gift-Giving” Journal of Consumer Research
- Belk & Coon (1991) “Can’t Buy me Love: Money, Dating & Gifts” Association for Consumer Research
- Geisler, Markus (2006) “Consumer Gift Systems” Journal of Consumer Research
- Sherry, John F. (1983) “Gift-Giving in Anthropological Perspective” Journal of Consumer Research
- Sherry, McGrath & Levy (1993) “The Dark Side of the Gift” Journal of Business Research
- Ward, Morgan K., & Broniarczyk, Susan M. (2011) “It’s Not Me, It’s You: How Gift Giving Creates Giver Identity Threat as a Function of Social Closeness” Journal of Consumer Research
- Wooten, David B. (2000) “Qualitative Steps Toward an Expanded Model of Anxiety in Gift-Giving” Journal of Consumer Research
Professor Russell Belk
- Professor Belk’s York University Schulich faculty page
- Talk About Talk episode #17: What Our Possessions Say
Talk About Talk & Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
- Free Weekly Email Blog - https://talkabouttalk.com/blog/#newsletter-signup
- (sign up now to get your FREE printable PDF of the “5 Steps to Improve your Communication Skills - ABCDE”)
- Website - https://talkabouttalk.com
- Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2512948625658629/
- Andrea’s email - Andrea@TalkAboutTalk.com
THANKS for listening – and READING!
- Web: https://talkabouttalk.com/
- FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2512948625658629/
- FB: https://www.facebook.com/TalkingAboutTalk/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/talkabouttalk/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/talk_about_talk
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/talkingabouttalk/
- Email: Andrea@TalkAboutTalk.com
TalkAboutTalk CORE BELIEF:
“When we communicate effectively, we can be a better manager, co-worker, parent, partner and friend.
TalkAboutTalk BRAND PROMISE:
“TalkAboutTalk is the communication learning platform that will help us catapult our career and enrich our relationships by providing us with communication skills and confidence.”
***When referencing resources and products, TalkAboutTalk sometimes uses affiliate links. These links don’t impose any extra cost on you, and they help support the free content provided by TalkAboutTalk.
Comments are closed.