WHY do people say what they say? Why do people rant about their contractor? Why do they take the time to write a restaurant review? Focusing on consumers' word-of-mouth, Dr. Andrea shares her research and insights to help us understand the 4 main reasons why people talk. (Here's a hint: It's not just all about being helpful!) You'll learn a few tips to help you diagnose why people are talking - and how to elicit unbiased recommendations from your friends!
References & Links
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
- Bio - https://www.linkedin.com/in/andreawojnicki/
- Dissertation Research – https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40547-017-0077-8
- WOM & Social Capital paper with Professor Mengze Shi - http://www.journalofadvertisingresearch.com/content/54/1/81
Co-authors and collaborators
- Professor Gerald Zaltman - https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/profile.aspx?facId=6579& and http://olsonzaltman.com/
- Professor David B. Godes - https://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/directory/david-godes
- Professor Mengze Shi - http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/FacultyAndResearch/Faculty/FacultyBios/Shi
Online Review Websites
- HOMESTARS - https://homestars.com/
- YELP - https://www.yelp.ca/
- TRIPADVISOR - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/
Consumer Psychology and Word of Mouth (Academic & Non-Academic Research)
- Altruism & WOM - Price, Feick & Guskey 1995: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265674558_Everyday_Market_Helping_Behavior
- Social Capital & WOM - http://www.journalofadvertisingresearch.com/content/54/1/81
- Consumer Vigilantes - Richins 1983: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235356549_Negative_word_of_mouth_by_dissatisfied_customers_A_pilot_study_Journal_of_Marketing
- Satisfaction & WOM - Anderson 1998: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/109467059800100102
- Persuasion Knowledge - https://www.jstor.org/stable/2489738?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- Cognitive Dissonance -Theory of Cognitive Dissonance (1957), Leon Festinger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Festinger
- Motivations for WOM - Frenzen & Nakamoto 1993: https://academic.oup.com/jcr/article-abstract/20/3/360/1838967?redirectedFrom=fulltext
- Rational Self Interest & Milton Friedman - https://hbr.org/2013/09/when-its-in-your-interest-not-to-be-self-interested
- “Contagious” – Jonah Berger 2014: https://amzn.to/2sHd5TS **
#Sponsor - FTC & Instagram on Online Sponsorships
Please connect with us:
And of course I would be foolish at this point if I didn’t ask you to tell all your friends about Talk About Talk!
One last thing, if you have a moment, please go to Apple iTunes or whatever podcast platform you are using and rate this podcast. It helps us a lot to get some traction in this wonderful podcast universe.
(click on an episode, then “Ratings & Reviews”)
THANK YOU for listening! And READING!
And TALK soon!
***When referencing resources and products, Talk About Talk sometimes uses affiliate links. These links don’t impose any extra cost on you, and they help support the free content provided by Talk About Talk.