This week we’re talking TABOO!
“Taboo topics” are fascinating, aren’t they? I’m a big fan of stand-up comedy, and I love watching how comedians use taboo topics to entertain and shock their audiences – be it talk about sex, relationships, money, profanity, I could go on. Have you ever noticed that taboo topics are also commonly referenced in clickbait headlines?
unsplash girl with red hat
I’ve got lots to say about TABOO TOPICS. You can hear all of it in this week’s podcast episode:
🌐 Click HERE to listen directly on the Talk About Talk website
🎧 Click HERE to listen on your favourite podcast player
📄 Click HERE to read the printable shownotes
Read on to learn:
- What is taboo?
- Communicating about taboo topics (an observation)
- Taboo topics over time
Let’s do this!
What is TABOO?
The word TABOO comes from the Tongan TAPU, the Fijian TABU, or the Polynesian TABU, and it translates to “unacceptable,” “prohibited,” “disallowed,” and/or “forbidden.”
TABOOS are “behaviours or words that are sacred or prohibited based on morals, religion, or norms.”
- words or behaviours – our actions and what we write/say
- sacred or prohibited – see synonyms above
- based on morals, religion or norms – so taboos exist everywhere!
Communicating about TABOOs – an Observation
I have an interesting observation to share with you.
Currently, the #1 most downloaded TalkAboutTalk podcast episode is #58: COMMUNICATE WIITH CONFIDENCE Part 1: Mental Preparation. I get frequently get questions from listeners and readers about Confidence, as well as a few other topics such as Personal Branding, Networking, and Storytelling…
No one has EVER asked me a question about Taboo Topics. People don’t seem to want to talk about Taboo Topics.
Here’s where it gets interesting. The #1 most visited, highest traffic post on the Talk About Talk website is a blog I wrote about Taboo Topics over two years ago.
not talk about them.
a podcast about taboo topics?
My guess is YES. What do you think? I’ll keep you updated!
TABOO Topics Over Time
- phone calls after 9pm (the shock!)
- tattoos (that’s crazy!)
- women wearing pants (imagine!)
Two examples of taboo topics that have evolved significantly – RACISM and POLITICS:
- Race & Racism has long been considered a taboo topic (see e.g. here and here). But recently, racism has quickly evolved from taboo to something we need to proactively talk about (see here and here).
- Consider how our vocabulary has evolved to commonly include terms such as discrimination, systemic oppression, implicit bias, #blacklivesmatter, …
- Politics may be an exception to our modern-day relaxation of various taboos. Recently, growing divisiveness has resulted in politics reverting to its taboo status. You’re either red, conservative, and republican, or you’re blue, progressive/liberal, and democrat. There’s no in-between, and there’s certainly no discussion. At least not in polite company, am I right?
I hope you enjoy this week’s podcast on TALKING TABOO TOPICS. Here’s a list of past Talk About Talk podcast episodes where we dig deep on specific taboo topics:
- YOUTH MENTAL HEALTH with Nicole German, founder of the Maddie Project
- TALKING MONEY with Kelly Harper, experience strategist
- TALKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR with North York General Hospital CEO Dr. Joshua Tepper
- DEATH & DYING: SUPPORTING OUR GRIEVING FRIENDS with psychotherapist & grief counsellor Andrea Warnick
- PROFANITY with linguistics professor Darin Flynn
Please forward this email to anyone who might like to learn about TABOOs and COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent 🎧Podcast Episodes:
#80 – COMMUNICATION INSIGHTS with podcasting hall-of-famer Dave Jackson
#79 – How to Use STORYTELLING to Elevate Your Communication
🎧 Subscribe to the Talk About Talk PODCAST
📩 Let’s talk
Email Andrea your ideas & feedback
© 2021 Talk About Talk – All rights reserved