These days, we’re all NETWORKING ONLINE.
Read on to learn:
- general networking advice
- reasons you should be optimistic
- how to approach people when you’re networking online
- tips for following up with people when you’re networking online
Let’s do this!
? THE PODCAST
For this timely podcast, I interviewed Sharon via Zoom. Sharon has so much positive energy!
Sharon Mah-Gin and Andrea Wojnicki talk “NETWORKING ONLINE“ on Zoom
NETWORKING ONLINE helps with more than just job searching. Networking can also help you:
- stay up-to-date on what’s going on inside and outside your industry;
- connect with prospective clients and customers;
- find mentors; and
- establish other meaningful professional and personal relationships!
A few general NETWORKING ONLINE insights that Sharon shared:
- Network with people who are like-minded, people with whom the conversations are natural, and who leave you feeling energized and better about yourself. (Yes, Sharon and I are like-minded!)
- It’s not about you! Networking is about giving. Start with an offer, especially in the beginning it’s really about building relationships with like-minded people.
- What to offer? You can provide insight, a video, a course, advice, support, a connection…
Click HERE to listen directly on the Talk About Talk website
? Click HERE to listen on your favourite podcast player
? Click HERE to read the printable shownotes
? Enjoy the podcast!
NETWORKING ONLINE: REASONS TO BE OPTIMISTIC
I opened the interview by asking Sharon, “How are we supposed to maintain, never mind grow, our network when EVERYTHING’s ONLINE?”
This is a wonderful opportunity to reach out to people.”
image: Unsplash @ edulautin
Sharon provided several reasons to back up her OPTIMISM about NETWORKING ONLINE:
- COVID can be a catalyst or an excuse for reaching out and/or for you getting a little more personal with people in your network.
- There are jobs out there. Vacancies from retirements, people moving on, and growth industries all contribute to job opportunities.
- People are being hired after virtual interviews, without being met in real life. In other words, the Zoom or Teams interview is sufficient enough.
- Good news for Introverts: the physical isolation associated with COVID may be easier for introverts, who are typically great listeners. Listening is a key skill for successful networking.
NETWORKING ONLINE: HOW TO APPROACH PEOPLE
1️⃣Kick-start your networking with LinkedIn
- Keeping your LinkedIn profile updated and professional might be a competitive advantage for you!
- Use the filtering function. Filter by geography if you want to go for a walk with someone. Also filter by discipline, by firm, etc.
- Grow your network by connecting with your connections’ connections.
2️⃣Consider the Catalyst – why are you connecting?
- Use COVID as the catalyst. “I’m just checking in. We used to do coffee every few months. Wanna meet for 15 minutes and get caught up?”
- Virtual coffees and “walk ’n’ talks” are becoming more accepted.
- Share something newsworthy with your network, perhaps an article, a video, a course, even a meme!
- Suggestion to connect by sharing something positive like THIS video or THIS course that Sharon recommends…
- “How are you? “ is no longer just conversation filler. Ask people, How are you? Really?
NETWORKING ONLINE: FOLLOWING UP
Three tips for following up with people when you’re NETWORKING ONLINE:
- Be more patient. You never know what’s going on, especially “these days.” People might be dealing with a lot!
- Follow up with a maximum of 3 requests: two emails, then a phone call a week later. (Love this prescriptive advice from Sharon!)
- Thank you notes are easy and very much appreciated. They’re also a great opportunity for you to emphasize the one takeaway you want to reinforce, or maybe something you forgot to say.
“Thank you notes are your second shot!”
I leave you with that. And THANK YOU for reading!
Please forward this email to your friends who might appreciate some advice on ONLINE NETWORKING. Thank you! ?
Enjoy the ONLINE NETWORKING podcast!
Have a great week!
Dr. Andrea Wojnicki
Chief Talker & Communication Coach
Most Recent ?Podcast Episodes:
#67 – ONLINE NETWORKING with Sharon Mah-Gin
#66 – 2020: Trending Communication Topics & Recommendations
#65 – “I NEED SLEEP” with Oksana Andreiuk
Please forward this email to a friend.
( ?Thank you!)
Were you forwarded this email from a friend?
© 2021 Talk About Talk – All rights reserved